24 May 2010

i heart new york

After my 4 suitcase production from
airport to airport to airport to taxi to 101 Ludlow I am finally here! Where Jay-Z so eloquently sang of this concrete jungle where dreams are made of. (and for the record it was really more like 2 suitcases and a carry on and a laptop.) When I first arrived, Richard (the black building security guard) said, and I quote,
"girl you's in safe hands." "we be like Allstate baby."
He should really look into the comedy profession, he not only gives me my quickest daily subway route but he's got jokes for days. I have a constant layer of humidity added to every part of me. Frizzy barely begins to describe the unruly yet lifeless mane on my head. My room is comparable to that of a man serving 25 to life, but the view out my window is amazing! The city is crazy, but a good kind of crazy and I love it. I could barely sleep because I was so anxious and nervous for my internship, it was the same feeling you get as you are waiting in line for the Tower of Terror at Disneyland. After 2 hours of debating whether I wanted to look business casual, business comfy, or just plain business, I went straight into my comfort zone: I wore my leopard wedges. (Which I'm sure comes as no surprise.) I almost donated my cardigan to a homeless man as I paced up and down 5th Avenue where my office supposedly was. It was hot and smuggy and I was sweating bullets. A doorman helped me finally find my office, and when the elevator doors opened to the 6th floor I was in LOVE. The office is incredible, so beautifully decorated. And everyone is SO NICE- I really don't know that I've ever met nicer more accepting people. I love saying, "I'm on my way to the office." Because I really do love it there, I am learning so many things from the architect and all the designers, I could not have asked for a better internship.

I can't believe that last summer I was here



doing this


and now i'm here


working right on 5th avenue
and eating lunch at bustling cafes while looking at the empire state building
and going to dinner at night out in the city.


it's amazing and exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time. but i am in love with exploring this place. i can't wait to finally be able to tell which way is North.
and to get a real job next summer so that i can afford life.




3 comments:

  1. I LOVE hearing about your adventures. So even though you are going to be super busy working and experiencing every part of New York...you have to blog... :-) love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I tell you how much I love the security guard at your building...people like him make my day! It sounds like New York City is the best, how awesome it is that you get to work on 5th ave. Can't wait to see you soon!! love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I am so jealous! It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete