03 June 2010

in 3rd grade
there was a new girl in school.
her last name was brown.
so mrs. cram made her sit by me,
assuming our identical generic last names would create some kind of bond.
I really think it was her smiley face back pack which I secretly coveted
that sealed the deal.
we were instant best friends.
she is a part of every childhood memory i have.
she helped me name my pet guinea pig (rascal fireball brown)
and open my first myspace acount.
she bought me my first t shirt from Abercromie & Fitch
and i wore it religiously every week.
we would build world class blanket forts in her room
with a secret chamber for the oreos and ding dongs we stole from the pantry.
we created original concoctions daily, for example: the MOA (consisting of milk, orange juice, and apple juice.)
she helped me write a peom for Velvet, our cat that died after 20 years of cat naps and bird chasing, and stood by me as i recited it at her burial service in our garden.
we used to chat on msn with strangers for hours with fake identities and questionable motives.
she was my friend through all of my awkward phases (I had approximately 4)
and she is still as loving and true to herself as the day i met her.
i am so lucky to have her as a part of my life
(i wish i had access to all of our childhood pictures, they are priceless)
i hope that today is an amazing day!!
happy birthday katie!
i love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment