11 June 2010

Odegard

This monday i had the opportunity of a lifetime.
I was invited to attend the
Odegard Rug Design Competition
awards ceremony
held at the Museum of Art and Design.
It was pretty incredible.
A few months ago I designed a rug and submitted it to the competition.
I heard that I was a finalist about 2 weeks prior to flying out to New York.
The day started out with a private tour of the Odegard Showroom.
Followed by a personal meeting with Stephanie Odegard!
She was so warm and welcoming and truly passionate about what she does.
That evening a car took us to the ceremony.
I was surrounded by and introduced to some of the most admirable
designers, architects, and magazine press in the world.
Ah it was amazing!
The best part was that I was able to share the experience with my family and friends.
Beccah and I were finalists,
but Abby, Martha, Erika, Nekku, and my mom were all there to support.
Martha was presented a Juror award
Abby was presented 2 Juror awards!
Cassandra was given a Juror award (although she wasn't able to attend).
6 of the top 11 rugs
(out of 800 submissions worldwide)
were Utah State University student designs!
One of the Jurors made a comment that Utah State was the new rug design capital
and to watch out for us.
We have such a talented program!
Beccah was awarded 2nd place
and I received 3rd!
It was amazing.


My award was so unique.
It was an actual ball of yarn that was flown to Nepal
and cast in a bronze mold by hand.
It's one of a kind and it weighs about the same as a 20 pound bowling ball.



(Beccah, Abby, Stephanie Odegard, Martha, Me)

Odegard will be producing and selling my rug.
I can't wait to see it actually made!
It was a wonderful night
and something that I will never forget
and always be grateful for.
I feel so lucky.


4 comments:

  1. That is so awesome. Seriously, I want to see your rug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cara, you are so sweet! I hope you are living up utah valley for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LB That is freakin awesome!! I think they should give you free samples of your rug :) I'm so impressed, you are becoming one talented woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah thanks guys! I know I could only wish for a free sample ha ha! Maybe if I beg... thanks for the support it means so much!

    ReplyDelete