14 June 2010

New Canaan, Connecticut

You know those postcards that you browse by
of the storybook houses with the white shutters and picket fences surrounded by green. so much green.Or the cards with a beach and a wooden dock with crabs scurrying around on the rocks and sailboats for miles. Well this is where I spent the weekend.

And it was the most beautiful town (in America) that I have ever been!
(it is also home to Philip Johnson's Glass House!)
Jess invited me to come kayaking and shopping and eating (of course) in this lush picture perfect town.
It was amazing.

(okay maybe this action shot was stolen and is not even close to replicating our relaxing and exciting kayak exploration, but it will be replaced as soon as I get the pictures from Jess).
It was a lovely retreat from the city.
Even though I am yet to get a tan.

Getting back was a different story however...
They dropped me off at the New Canaan train station.

The routine goes as follows:
train to Stamford. Transfer to train going to Grand Central Station.
Simple enough, even for me.
Well, once the train arrived in Stamford,
the conductor told us all to get on the 3 to Grand Central. So we did. 5 minutes into the journey we were informed we were on the express to New Haven.
Connecticut.

Everyone was on the wrong train.
And the crowd became quite riotous.
At one point, a man huddled us all together and said,

"okay okay now we all gots to stick together. we goona get through this. we gots each other."
I acquired quite an eclectic group of new friends that night.

And I only questioned my safety once, for a brief moment in Harlem. After waiting in New Haven for 2 hours
(photo found on this fantastic blog)
and then taking an extra long train ride back to the city I finally arrived home at 4:30 am.
But I appreciated the adventure.
How boring would life be if we always got on the right train?


No comments:

Post a Comment